Reproductive Biologist / Co-ordinator
Dip Chem. Path, BSc. (Chem.) BSc. (Reprod. Biol.)
Denise is a scientist who has been involved with human reproduction and the treatment of infertile couples for 20 years. Her initial training was in Chemical Pathology. She was inspired to enter the newly developing field of IVF after reading the book " A Matter of Life " by Steptoe and Edwards. This book described their pioneering work in IVF, which lead to the birth of the first IVF baby Louise Brown. The more she read, the more she was drawn to this newly developing science, and this emerging passion ultimately led to her coming to work for Dr Joel Bernstein, where she was the Principal Scientist, and assisted him in developing his IVF facilities in South Africa. She was one of the first scientists in South Africa to obtain a BSc degree in Reproductive Biology.
Currently her, work of Scientific Co-ordinator involves:
- Diagnostic testing of sperm with special expertise in the Tygerberg Strict Criteria
- Running the scientific part of the Ovulation Induction and Artificial Insemination Programme.
- Assisting with the Free Fertility Evaluation Programme
- Senior Embryologist at my IVF unit Fertility East
Director of Donor Eggs Programme
- Free introductory visit for patients seeking donor oocytes
- Preparation of patient medical information in association with Dr Joel Bernstein
- Assistance with selection of donors and treatment units
- Coordination of this complex process
- To date we have successfully achieved more than 330 new babies.
Denise too is committed to our Total Patient Care philosophy
Professional Degrees, Appointments and Associations
- Dip. Chem. Path.
- BSc. Reprod. Biol.
- Member of the Fertility Society of Australia
- Member of SIRT (Scientists in Reproductive Technology)
- Member of AIMS (Australian Institute of Medical Scientists)